Sunday 14 October 2007

McCarter Bolts PRP, Creates Third Party

Strausbourg - Morovian newcomer Glenn McCarter announced his resignation from the Progressive-Reform Party and has indicated he will establish a third political party, the Democratic Centre.

Following his declaration, McCarter spoke to an informal gathering of reporters outside the conference hall. Reciting a laundry list of issue positions, he distinguished himself from Progressives such as Peter Krembs, a libertarian. On that count, McCarter emphasized his commitment to responsible stewardship of the environment. He said, "I don't agree with the libertarian way of thinking 'let people do what they want about it.' That won't work. The government must pass legislation to reduce emissions, and establish a polluter tax to encourage reduction of pollution. Tax incentives for cleaner technologies."

"
I am not a liberal, I am not a libertarian, I am not a social democrat, I am not a conservative. I am a moderate centrist," he continued, "I found the Democratic Centre."

McCarter will contest the upcoming election for a seat in the Royal Assembly.